URSSI facilitates modern road transport and urban planning practices in Uganda. Founded in 2010, the pioneering NGO in East Africa has distinguished itself as an active institution introducing structured advocacy interpositions that have positively shaped Uganda government intervention in the transport sector. URSSI promotes transparency and accountability practices in transport sector as well as support measures geared at reforming urban transformation and modern urban planning practices. We have long standing interests in transport infrastructure development and urban transformation and management. URSSI focuses on policy advocacy and Results Based Development for urban and rural conversion and sustenance. URSSI is interested in national policy change and reform for Uganda urban status, human settlement, transport, environment requirements and urban governance. We support and promote climate change adaptation measures with an overall goal of helping Uganda’s towns and cities grow into sustainable urban areas. We promote dignified human settlements and coherent physical planning. URSSI has been innovative in searching for working solutions for fairer yet efficient transport, mobility and land use planning measures in Uganda. We work closely with different actors to deliver our mandate with the interests of citizens at the heart of our every activity.
Uganda Road Sector Support Initiative (URSSI) works to improve governance in the Ugandan transport sector, with a special focus on Road transport. Established in 2010, the pioneering NGO in transport sector has distinguished itself as an active institution introducing structured advocacy interpositions that have positively shaped government intervention in the transport sector. From spearheading efforts in championing and crusading the process of amendment of the erstwhile outdated old Road laws, to being the draughtsman of citizens monitoring of road projects, to providing alternative policy positions to parliament on budget processes for Works & Transport Sector, URSSI continues to create impact in a hitherto no-go area of Civil Society not only in Uganda but in Sub-Saharan Africa.
URSSI promotes accountability practices in the Road Construction sector as well as support measures geared at reforming urban transformation and modern urban planning practices in developing countries. We have long standing interests in transport infrastructure development and urban transformation and management. URSSI focuses on policy advocacy and Results Based Development for urban and rural conversion and sustenance. URSSI interested in national policy change and reform for African urban status, human settlement, transport and environment requirements. URSSI has been innovative in searching for working solutions for fairer yet efficient transport systems in Uganda. URSSI is one-of a kind-organization in Uganda with requisite competence and experience in transport sector. URSSI is the only Non-Governmental organization that is working on transparency and accountability issues in transport sector in Uganda.
- Awareness creation through media using carefully designed communication strategies (Increasing public awareness on their roles and responsibilities in promoting Transparency and accountability in execution of national road infrastructure).
- Harnessing existing and Creation of new platforms for engagements between duty bearers, rights holders
- Documentation of processes and related issues for evidence based advocacy
- Working with local governments and supporting support for capacity improvement
- Stakeholder mapping to establish the assets and harness their role in creating a desired impact
- Participatory processes and community mobilisation for citizens to play their critical roles of demanding for better services
- Collaboration with government, and assurance process with partners
- Coalition building – enlisting the other CSOs for joint advocacy
Our Key Success Factors (KSF)
URSSI appreciates the strategic importance of maintaining positive relationships with all our stakeholders including our constituency (citizens), our funders, government agencies and other partners. We have zero tolerance to corruption and we focus on having greater accountability and transparency. Our committed leadership and management help the organization to keep focused to meet our goals. We ensure that all our finances are put to optimum use to achieve maximum impact. Our values are informed by our goals and objectives. We treasure transparency and accountability because it is from these that we are able to meet the expectations of all stakeholders at all times. We pursue people oriented approach in all our programmes and activities.
Your support and efforts could help URSSI achieve the following:
- Monitoring government funds allocated to roads and public works by ensuring that contractors provide quality road sector services to the public and advocating for systematic road sector reforms in Uganda.
- Carrying out research, advocacy and dissemination of information on issues related to National Road Transport Budget through a follow up on how funds are allocated and spent in this sub-sector.
- By carrying out Independent Budget Analysis and promoting budget literacy for the public to create awareness about how the money allocated to roads is utilized.
- Monitoring and tracking the process and procedures of procurement of roads to ensure transparency in the whole process and performance monitoring
- Involving communities in road monitoring and guide them to hold both government accountable for ongoing and completed works.
- Supporting Uganda’s towns to grow into well planned urban centers and cities in a sustainable manner with green belts, leisure parks, recreation centers and organized neighborhoods
- By helping us provide effective remedies, actions and responses to road safety issues and providing appropriate approaches to address major road safety risk factors and to halt or reverse road traffic deaths in Uganda.